Wednesday, July 11, 2007

In praise of: Lori van Echtelt, savior of the European afro



My quest for afro-friendly hair and beauty products made by real people (as opposed to Softsheen-Carson) started here: Mariposa Import, run by the sweetest Dutch woman ever.
Lori van Echtelt (pictured) went up against import-export laws, bad afro hair advice and some seriously ill-adjusted Dutch lorry drivers to bring Europe half-way decent products.
The best thing about her is the fact that she inspires trust. She tries every product she sells, doesn't stock anything that doesn't work, and can give decent advice. It's a refreshing change from the local Pak, (I dare you to go in and ask for a humecant) and it made me feel much better about buying products I couldn't see or smell.
She also really appealed to my self esteem. She had natural hair, knew her products, her client base and her EU export law and she was growing a business. I'm still prepared to pay 12 euro for conditioner because of what she represents.
My favourite buy will always be the Oyin Honey Hemp conditioner which makes my hair feel amazing. It has great slip, so much so that I've stopped combing my hair, and just condition with this to de-tangle. Worth every cent of the 12 euro price tag.
Three years down the line there are a whole passel of places online, and, to my knowledge, one actual shop floor selling similar products. It almost feels like a revolution...

1 comment:

Aulelia said...

wow. thanks for the heads up. i will look into her. i have an afro too and it is just in a state since nothing i use works.